|Monkey D. Luffy|
|“||I've set myself to become the King of the Pirates... And if I die trying... Then at least I tried!||„|
|~ Monkey D. Luffy|
Monkey D. Luffy is the protagonist of One Piece, a manga written by Eiichiro Oda.
Luffy is the son of Monkey D. Dragon and was raised by his grandfather Garp along with his adoptive brother Ace. When he was seven, Luffy befriended the pirate captain Red-Haired Shanks and his crew. During an argument between Shanks and a bandit, Luffy accidentally ate the Gomu Gomu no Mi, a mystical Devil Fruit that turned his body into rubber, at the cost of taking away his ability to swim. After standing up to the bandit, Luffy is easily defeated and kidnapped, but Shanks came to save him, though his arm was bitten off by a sea monster when he went to save Luffy from drowning. When Shanks finally left the island Luffy lived on, Luffy made a promise to him that he'd surpass him and becoming king of the pirates by finding the legendary treasure, the One Piece. Ten years later, and Luffy has set off for the Grand Line to gather up a pirate crew and find the One Piece.
Powers & Abilities Edit
- Gomu Gomu no Mi: A Paramecia-type Devil Fruit that Luffy ate. When he ate the Gomu Gomu no Mi, it transformed Luffy's whole body into rubber, letting him stretch and twist his body at will. Since he's made of rubber, most blunt force attacks bounce right off of Luffy's body, and he can rebound projectiles such as bullets and cannonballs back at the person who fired it. He's also immune to electricity.
- Gomu Gomu no Pistol: A punch augmented by stretching.
- Gomu Gomu no Pistol Shot: While using Gomu Gomu no Pistol, Luffy twangs his arm to have the punch hit multiple times.
- Gomu Gomu no Rocket: Luffy stretches his arms out to grab something before rapidly retracting them, launching him into the air for fast travel.
- Gomu Gomu no Bazooka: Stretches his arms back before hurling them forward for a double palm strike.
- Gomu Gomu no Gatling: A rapid barrage of stretching punches.
- Gomu Gomu no Bullet: Runs at the opponent while stretching his fist back before stopping, causing his fist to snap back for a powerful, short-ranged punch.
- Gomu Gomu no Bowgun: Grabs the foe from behind and twists his torso around before grabbing the opponent with his feet. The snapback from Luffy untwisting sends his foe flyign upwards.
- Gomu Gomu no Rifle: A variation of Gomu Gomu no Bullet, where Luffy twists his arm around to add a drilling effect.
- Gomu Gomu no Cannon: Builds up momentum with a Gomu Gomu no Gatling that stops just short of hitting the opponent before striking with a Gomu Gomu no Bazooka strong enough to pierce heavy armor and break apart tidal waves.
- Gomu Gomu no Whip: Stretches out his leg and swings it in a circle around him.
- Gomu Gomu no Hammer: Twists his arms around and grabs the opponent as his arms unwind, spinning them around as he slams them into the ground.
- Gomu Gomu no Giant Hammer: A version of Gomu Gomu no Hammer that uses his legs instead of his arms.
- Gomu Gomu no Sickle: Grabs the object behind the opponent and pulls himself towards it, smacking the foe in the face on the way there.
- Gomu Gomu no Giant Scythe: A version of Gomu Gomu no Sickle that uses both arms.
- Gomu Gomu no Spear: Puts his feet together and stretches them at the opponent to kick them.
- Gomu Gomu no Axe: Stretches his foot into the air before bringing it down on the target.
- Gomu Gomu no Balloon: Inflates his body to deflect attacks.
- Gomu Gomu no Bell: Grabs the opponent and stretches his neck back before snapping it forward for a powerful headbutt.
- Gomu Gomu no Pinwheel: Plants his feet in the ground, twists his body tightly, and grabs the opponent before spinning around with them and tossing them away.
- Gomu Gomu no Shield: Grabs his fingers and stretches them over his face to block blades.
- Gomu Gomu no Finger Net: Entwines his fingers into a net and uses them to capture opponents.
- Gomu Gomu no Stamp: A kicking variation of Gomu Gomu no Pistol.
- Gomu Gomu no Stamp Gatling: A kicking variation of Gomu Gomu no Gatling.
- Gomu Gomu no Baku Baku: Stretches his mouth wide open before biting down on the opponent.
- Gomu Gomu no Buzzsaw: Grabs the opponent from afar, winds himself up like a bowgun, and kicks off the ground while spinning to hit the foe with a strong headbutt.
- Gomu Gomu no Storm: Inflates his body with Gomu Gomu no Balloon, twists himself around, and exhales while unwinding his body to launch into the air and hit the foe with a barrage of punches.
- Gomu Gomu no Fireworks: Jumps into the air and wraps his arms and legs into a rubber ball around him. When his body unwinds, it unleashes a flurry of punches and kicks that hit everyone around him.
- Gomu Gomu no Space Out...: Luffy switches off his conscious mind, letting him use his instincts to avoid any attack. However, he can't attack in this state.
- Gomu Gomu no Octopus: Inflates his head and makes his appendages go limp. Using Gomu Gomu no Fireworks in this state greatly increases the speed of the punches.
- Gomu Gomu no Ally Robot: Wraps his limbs around someone to control them.
- Gomu Gomu no Volcano: Does a stretching upward kick that breaks through things above him.
- Gomu Gomu no Rain: Jumps into the air and does a spinning barrage of downward punches as he falls.
- Gomu Gomu no Human Shield: Stretches his arms to grab someone before pulling them in front of him to use them as a shield.
- Gomu Gomu no Snake Shot: Stretches and twists his arm at the opponent before grabbing them.
- Gomu Gomu no Fire Salute: Uses Gomu Gomu no Balloon to catch a projectile before rebounding it with twice the power.
- Gomu Gomu no UFO: Twists his legs around in the air before unwinding them, spinning them around and kicking anyone around him.
- Haki: A special power that only a few people can use. There are three different kinds of Haki. Kenbunshoku Haki, which lets Luffy sense the presence of people and predict their attacks, Busoshoku Haki, which forms invisible armor around Luffy to defend attacks, or hardens parts of his body to increase their striking power, and Haoshoku Haki, which exerts his will over the surroundings to knock out weak-willed people and put pressure on the surrounding area.
- Superhuman Strength: Luffy is incredibly strong. He can knock out a sea monster with one punch, heft around a giant golden ball, shatter steel, collapse buildings, break layers of bedrock, throw giant monsters hundreds of feet, and even shatter the head of the mountain-sized Pica with ease.
- Superhuman Speed and Reflexes: Luffy is fast enough to react to gunfire and cannonballs, dodge point-blank explosions, and move faster than the eye can track.
- Superhuman Durability and Stamina: Luffy's rubber body makes him very tough. He can survive being knocked through buildings, being frozen solid, explosions, and punches that break islands in half.
Alternate Forms Edit
- Gomu Gomu no Jet Pistol: A Gear Second-enhanced Gomu Gomu no Pistol.
- Gomu Gomu no Jet Stamp: A Gear Second-enhanced Gomu Gomu no Stamp.
- Gomu Gomu no Jet Bazooka: A Gear Second-enhanced Gomu Gomu no Bazooka, which is strong enough to break Blueno's strongest defense.
- Gomu Gomu no Jet Whip: A Gear Second-enhanced Gomu Gomu no Whip.
- Gomu Gomu no Jet Bullet: A Gear Second-enhanced Gomu Gomu no Bullet.
- Gomu Gomu no Jet Gatling: A Gear Second-enhanced Gomu Gomu no Gatling, which is so fast that only the slipstreams from the punches are visible.
- Gomu Gomu no Jet Rocket: A Gear Second-enhanced Gomu Gomu no Rocket.
- Gomu Gomu no Jet Hammer: A Gear Second-enhanced Gomu Gomu no Hammer.
- Gomu Gomu no Jet Mace: Kicks the opponent at high speeds while falling and spinning.
- Gomu Gomu no Jet Spear: A Gear Second-enhanced Gomu Gomu no Spear.
- Gomu Gomu no Red Hawk: Uses Busoshoku Haki in conjunction with Gear Second for a flaming punch that causes an explosion upon impact.
- Gomu Gomu no Hawk Gatling: A version of Gomu Gomu no Gatling enhanced by Gear Second and Busoshoku Haki.
- Gomu Gomu no Hawk Rifle: A version of Gomu Gomu no Rifle enhanced by Gear Second and Busoshoku Haki.
- Gomu Gomu no Eagle Bazooka: A version of Gomu Gomu no Bazooka enhanced by Gear Second and Busoshoku Haki.
- Gomu Gomu no Hawk Whip: A version of Gomu Gomu no Whip enhanced by Gear Second and Busoshoku Haki.
Gear Third: The second of Luffy's Gears, Gear Third has him bite into his thumb and blow into it, inflating his arm like a balloon until it becomes gigantic. The new giant state of Luffy's arm greatly increases its power, letting him effortlessly destroy buildings and large ships with one punch. He can also transfer the air to different sections of his body to increase their size as well.
- Gomu Gomu no Giant Pistol: A version of Gomu Gomu no Pistol used with Gear Third for a much stronger punch.
- Gomu Gomu no Gigant Axe: A version of Gomu Gomu no Axe augmented with Gear Third.
- Gomu Gomu no Gigant Whip: A version of Gomu Gomu no Whip enhanced by Gear Third.
- Gomu Gomu no Gigant Bazooka: A version of Gomu Gomu no Bazooka enhanced by Gear Third.
- Gomu Gomu no Gigant Jet Shell: Uses Gear Third to inflate his torso while in Gear Second before launching himself at the opponent like a cannonball.
- Gomu Gomu no Gigant Rifle: A Gear Third-enhanced Gomu Gomu no Rifle.
- Gomu Gomu no Gigant Balloon: Uses Gomu Gomu no Balloon after inflating his torso with Gear Third for a much stronger defense.
- Gomu Gomu no Elephant Gun: A varation of Gomu Gomu no Giant Pistol that has Luffy enhance his arm with Busoshoku Haki for a much stronger blow.
- Gomu Gomu no Elephant Gatling: Uses Gear Third to inflate his arms and hardens his fists with Busoshoku Haki before unleashing a flurry of extremely powerful punches.
- Gomu Gomu no Grizzly Magnum: Enhances his arms with Busoshoku Haki before using Gomu Gomu no Gigant Bazooka.
- Gomu Gomu no Thor Elephant Gun: Launches himself into the air with Gomu Gomu no Rocket before gathering sparks from thunderclouds around his fist and using them for an electricity-enhanced Gomu Gomu no Elephant Gun.
Gear Fourth: Boundman: The third, and so far strongest of Luffy's Gears. By hardening his upper body with Busoshoku Haki before biting into his forearm and blowing into it, Luffy can inflate his muscular structure to greatly increase the size of his upper body. In this form, Luffy's strength, speed, and durability increase, to the point where normal attacks bounce right off him. Instead of stretching, Gear Fourth focuses on compressing Luffy's limbs before releasing them for more power, at the cost of range.
- Gomu Gomu no Kong Gun: Compresses his fist into his arm before releasing it for a powerful, but short-ranged punch.
- Gomu Gomu no Rhino Schneider: Compresses his feet into his body before doing a flying kick.
- Gomu Gomu no Culverin: A version of Gomu Gomu no Pistol that can stretch and change directions in mid-air without losing momentum or power.
- Gomu Gomu no Leo Bazooka: Compresses his fists into his arms before releasing them for an enhanced Gomu Gomu no Bazooka.
- Gomu Gomu no Kong Organ: After compressing both fists into his arms, Luffy moves his arms side-to-side rapidly to unleash a barrage of Gomu Gomu no Kong Gun attacks.
- Gomu Gomu no King Kong Gun: Luffy's strongest Gear Fourth technique. After using Gear Third in Gear Fourth to greatly increase the size of his fist, Luffy compresses his fist into his arm before releasing it for a much stronger version of Gomu Gomu no Kong Gun. This attack was strong enough to break Doflamingo's Spider Web and God Thread, and send Doflamingo flying into the nearby city with enough force to level it, tear up the ground, break it in half, and send both halves flying into the air.
Gear Fourth: Tankman: A variation of Gear Fourth that is used after Luffy has eaten a bunch of food, causing Luffy's torso to expand greatly and grow rounder. In this form, Luffy's durability is greatly increased, letting him block attacks strong enough to pierce Boundman's skin with ease, and he can increase the power of Boundman's compression attacks by using his stomach as a launcher.
- Gomu Gomu no Cannonball: By grabbing the foe with his stomach when they try to attack him, Luffy can compress them into his stomach before launching them out like a cannonball. This attack was strong enough to defeat Cracker and destroy his biscuit army.
- Knocked out a sea monster with one punch.
- Destroyed Arlong's Park.
- Can punch through layers of bedrock.
- Toppled a building.
- Pushed two skyscrapers apart with his shoulder.
- Picked up a giant ball of solid gold.
- Sent a man flying towards a mountain with the force to destroy it with one punch.
- Shattered steel with his bare hands.
- Threw a giant over his shoulder.
- Easily smash through armor that not even cannonballs from battleships can damage it.
- Destroyed half of Noah, an extremely durable ship about half the size of an island, and would've completely destroyed it if not for the Sea Kings' intervention.
- Toppled the Tower of Justice with two Gear Second attacks.
- In Gear Third, his punches can easily destroy buildings and ships.
- Sent Doflamingo through several buildings with one blow in Gear Fourth.
- Broke Doflamingo's strings with Boundman.
- One-shotted Hajrudin, who can withstand a 10,000 ton attack dropped on him.
- Managed toi break a haki-imbued Chinjao's head, which is strong enough to break open a continental ince sheet with a headbutt.
- Knocked out Cracker, who's Busoshoku Haki is stronger than Doflamingo's, with one Gomu Gomu no Kong Gun.
- With Gomu Gomu no King Kong Gun, can send a man flying with the force to level a city, break it in half, and send both halves into the air.
- Moves faster than the eye can track.
- Can dodge bullets and cannon fire at point-blank range.
- Reacted to Enel's lightning form.
- Dodged a point-blank explosion.
- Runs so fast the ground catches on fire.
- Moved too fast for Doflamingo to track.
- In Gear Second, can dodge laser beams.
- Dodged a point-blank Bullet String with Boundman.
- Blunt force attacks, gunfire, and cannonballs bounce right off him.
- Tanked blows from some of the strongest pirates in the Grand Line.
- Survived a punch that cracked an island in half.
- Tanked getting knocked through buildings.
- Tanks explosions powerful enough to destroy boulders.
- Tanked a cutting attack that are strong enough to cut through buildings.
- Tankman was able to easily block hits strong enough to nearly pierce Boundman.
- Took an attack from Hajrudin, a gaint strong enough to send a 10,000 ton weight into the sky with just a punch.
- Invented his own fighting style to compliment his Devil Fruit.
- Defeated many powerful pirates across the East Blue and Grand Line.
- Learned Soru after seeing it used once.
- Disbanded Baroque Works by defeating their leader, Crocodile.
- Beat Foxy the Silver Fox in a Davy Back Fight.
- Defeated several of the Shichibukai.
- Infiltrated Impel Down and made it back out.
- Just saying his name in a room full of trained warriors sent everyone into a panic.
- Defeated Doflamingo.
- Can't swim: Like all Devil Fruit users, Luffy sinks like a rock in water and is unable to move while in it. Contact with the Kairoseki stone produces the same effect.
- Bladed weapons: Since he's made of rubber, blunt force attacks do little to nothing to Luffy. However, blades and cutting tools can still hurt him.
- Stupid: Luffy is a genius in combat, but not much else. He's naive and thinks with his fists and his stomach instead of his brain. He's also susceptible to hypnotism.
- Gear Fourth has a time limit: Gear Fourth is the strongest of his forms, but it only lasts so long. When the time runs out, Luffy is left unable to move for a bit and can't use Haki for ten minutes.